A dental abscess is an accumulation of pus that can develop in the teeth or gums due to bacterial infection. Infection results in an accumulation of pus (dead tissue, live and dead bacteria, and white blood cells) and swelling of the tissues within the tooth. This causes a toothache.
The oral cavity is having millions of bacteria, which generally do not harm. However, when the consumption of high sugar food and drinks increases the sugar particles are broken down in to acid by bacteria and thus starting the process of tooth decay. The acid in combination with the bacteria and small fragments of food particles produce plaque. This plaque covers the surface of teeth and start eroding the tooth enamel. The formed acid can easily damage the enamel, the hardest part of human body.
Once the decay has occurred in the enamel, the plaque and bacteria enters the dentin. Due to softness of the structure the process of caries will begin to quicken. If a person does not seek any treatment, the cavity will enter the pulp. The nerves present in the tooth become disclosed, creating a mild to severe pain and bacteria can easily infect the pulp and surrounding structures and forms abscess.
Dental abscess can be of two types
- Periapical abscess (the most common type), when organism infect the tooth because of dental decay
- Periodontal abscess, because of infection in gums
Periapical abscesses are more frequent than periodontal abscesses. These conditions may get worse without proper dental treatment, and may progress to damage of nearby bone and other serious health harms. The general practitioner may prescribe you correct treatment, but the only long-run answer for this condition includes treatment from a dentist.